Friday, May 10, 2013

Kitchen Misadventures: Chard on the Grill

My last experience with chard was not great, but it was in the CSA box again this time around, so I wanted to try again. I asked friends for recipes and searched the net, but the easiest/best sounding idea was Jojo's suggestion to grill it. Sounds great, right? I wanted to grill some hamburgers, hot dogs and marinated chicken anyway (when I grill I do a lot at a time so I don't waste the propane by turning it on and off for short spells all the time), so I thought this would be a great I read another suggestion online to massage the chard with a little olive oil and sprinkle in some salt and pepper, so I did that.

 

 Doesn't it look so pretty in the bowl? I REALLY want to like this stuff! 






I laid it out on the grill after I was done cooking all of the meat. The "recipe" (tips and tricks really) said to only grill for a minute on each side, so it was a quick process. I could kind of tell while it was cooking that I was in trouble. Frankly, it just doesn't smell good to me.


Still looks kind of pretty all grilled up and ready to go inside! I took it in, tried a piece and immediately dry heaved over the trash can. Sigh. This one was not a success. I think those who actually like chard would think this was great. I, on the other hand, clearly am not a fan. I don't like the smell, I don't like the taste, I don't like the texture of cooked greens.

Chard, I'm sorry, I think this is where we have to part ways. It's not you, it's me. You'll find someone new, I promise.

Please don't let there be chard in my CSA box next week.

1 comment:

cjbean said...

I'll take your chard! props for trying tho