Monday, May 27, 2013

Reminder to do fun stuff!

I often find myself just kind of comfortable with the way things are now, with my current day to day lifestyle, with the status of my career, and so on. I clean my house and play with Miss Kizzi on the weekends, and generally watch movies with me friends and stay fairly local. This is a good thing for the most part, it's nice to be comfortable, but I tend to forget how quickly things can change, especially in the VFX industry that I call my own. But amidst this comfort, once in a while comes a jarring reminder that change is coming, and sooner than I would like.

Today it was an offhand comment from a co-worker, one of my favorites in fact. He simply said something to the effect of "...that will happen in 2015, but I probably won't be here to see it." A couple of us asked where he was planning on going, and he said he just meant that none of us are likely to be here at our current place of work in 2015, such is the state of our industry. Truth be told, I don't have work lined up for after my current show yet, and likely will have several months off in between this and my next project. I'm planning to travel and visit some family and friends. I'm actually really looking forward to this time and kind of hope that I do have it off, though the uncertainty of the future in this industry is still pretty unsettling.

The title of this post is referring to part of my overall reaction to that realization, that this job isn't going to last forever. I would like to take as many opportunities to see the area that I'm living in right now and experience it with my friends out here, because who knows when one of us is going to move to a different part of the world, or when we'll have our lives taken over by OT, or whatever. So yeah, here's to weekend warrior trips with friends!

Side note, I haven't been posting much lately because a) I've been busy with a SIGGRAPH project that I am very excited about and b) I haven't been cooking/experimenting with the vegetables much because we've kicked into OT at work and I have (regretfully) been hitting up the fast food a lot lately. I resolve right now to do better! I also will be posting some research and sketches and whatnot for this SIGGRAPH project as soon as I am allowed to. It's going to be a good one :)


No comments: