Thursday, May 16, 2013

Lots of little bits

I'm getting behind on this whole blog thing, busy week! Quick update on what I've been doing...

I spent some time in the ER Monday morning because a good friend of mine got in a bicycle accident. He's ok, nothing too bad happened, but he was lucky this time. The last time this particular friend was in the hospital it was a much more dire situation, so I think all of us in his world were happy it was only a sprained wrist. No big deal, right?

In preparation for losing my job in a couple of months, I've been hitting up all of my doctors for my annual exams. Last week was the dentist, this week the general practitioner. I don't usually do all of this preventative stuff, which I'm not saying is good, I'm just usually not on top of things like this. I end up only going in when I'm sick and never get the full work-up done. This time I did the fasting thing, got the full physical, had an echocardiogram, and had blood drawn. They've been trying to call me with the results today, which I'm sure are fine, but we've been playing phone tag. Still, I feel better already checking this one off the list.

I'm having a yard sale on Saturday, which was supposed to be an easy way to get rid of some nicer junk, and instead has become a big project. As it turns out, my city has some super weird restrictions on yard sales. You have to apply for a permit, and the small print on said permit states that you cannot hold a yard sale, wait for it, in your yard. There are also hour of the day and signage restrictions. It was almost enough for me to give up, but I already had several other people committed to coming to sell their own stuff, so on we go. We're two days out now and I have a million things to do tonight to get ready. I just hope we make some money, I don't want this all to be for naught!

I am one of the crazies who went to a Wednesday night midnight screening of Star Trek: Into Darkness. Let me tell you, it was worth it :) I had such a good time, that film did not disappoint! I have absolutely no complaints, there were several surprises, and the action was so good that I wanted to see it again immediately after. I am probably going to try to see it again this weekend.

Last but not least, another CSA box arrived today! I still have about half of the last box, so yeah, I'm falling behind on the cooking and veggie experimenting. This time around there was a lot of the same (kale, beets, onions, carrots, oranges, cabbage), with the welcome addition of fresh mint and zucchini. And yes, there was chard. Sigh. Yee is now the proud owner of some fresh chard. I'm totally making mojitos with the mint, if I can figure out how to muddle that is, other than that I have no plans for this food. I will have to try harder, after the yard sale!


No comments: